Thursday, September 13, 2012

A Long Day Over

After my day of traveling, it felt good to finally arrive in Malaga.  I was very nervous near the end of my train ride to meet my host family.  How would I be received at the train station? Would it be awkward? I just kept telling myself "remember, they kiss both cheeks! be prepared!".  When I got off the train at the station, I made my way into the lobby, and at first I didn't see my host family.  So I kind of stood there awkwardly hoping that they remembered me.  Then I saw Rosa and Laura (mother and child that I am au-pairing with) run up to me with big smiles.  I put down my bags and we had a big group hug (and of course, the double cheek kisses).  It was a really sweet reception at the end of a long day!

Laura and I became immediate friends.  She wanted to show me on her mom's iphone the pictures of her new dog that the family will be getting in October (yay!), and she was asking me questions (which I thought was very outgoing of her).  She even noticed that I cut my hair!  On the drive back to the house, Rosa and Laura were pointing out all of the different landmarks in the city.  It was such a fabulous drive, to be by the ocean, and palm trees, and beautiful houses, and crazy European streets! I kept thinking to myself that I will be able to explore all of this soon!

When we got back to the house, Dioni (the father) greeted me warmly, as did Laura's aunt, uncle and cousins who came over to prepare dinner to welcome me to Spain.  Laura immediately took me on a tour of the house, pointing out necessary things like where the nutella and tea was kept, where I could find paper, all the secret doors to the outside, and the yoga mat that the family bought for me to use while I was here.  Then we all settled down to a tapas-style dinner, with many little items to try.  I fell in love with jamon, which is Spanish ham, and this certain type of cheese from here.  Near the end of our meal, Laura brought out her laptop to show me all of her favourite music.  She was suprised that I didn't know the popular Spanish singers that she loved so much.  Then she was dying to show me that she knew all the words to this Spanish rap song, so the played it and made me watch her sing the entire song (so cute!).  I definitely used to do the same thing to Eminem songs, so I could relate to her pride.  Laura's uncle is the director of a e-health company over here in Malaga, and he was talking to me about going over one day to meet with the rest of the company to start up some sort of employment, which would be great!  Any health experience I can get is great!  After all the socializing and dinner, I took a long shower and fell right to sleep, excited to finally wake up in Malaga the next morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, anonymous...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...