Monday, September 17, 2012

On Being an Au Pair...

The au pair experience thus far has been what I have expected... kind of like babysitting, kind of not.  I feel obligated to be around Laura whenever she is home, but recently I have been wandering off when she watches TV or has her friends over.  Those two times are when she doesn't really want to speak English, and when I find the most boring.  The best times we have together are when it is just the two of us, and we can talk (I also imagine its when she learns the most English).  My schedule with Laura is to pick her up from school every day at 4:30.  She goes to a french school that is about a 20 minute walk from here, but the walk is up and down lots of hills.  Today will actually be my first time doing the walk, last week she was picked up via car by Rosa or Dioni with me along for the ride.  When we get home, I make a quick snack for her (usually nutella and toast, her favourite).  Then she does her homework, and I'll help with any English homework.  Then she usually has some sort of extra-cirricular for an hour (French tutoring, math tutoring, piano or horseback riding). Then she watches TV until dinner.  I usually eat my dinner with Laura, because Dioni and Rosa have it too late for me.  Then it's kind of fair game until bedtime, when I put Laura to bed if she wants me to.

My favourite part about the experience is getting to be around a kid again.  I like the age of innocence where they want you to explain things about why things are the way they are.  I like the imaginative play and the joy they get from pretending to be adults sometimes.  Its also fun to act like a kid, playing in the cabana (club house) and making up games.  I also love all things girly, like doing hair and makeup and nail polish so Laura and I are a good fit (she likes these things too, and likes to bring her other girl friends over to partake in the fun).  In addition to all of this, Laura seems to really, really enjoy me as her au pair.  She has been comfortable hanging out and talking with me since day one, which her mom says she usually doesn't do (she usually takes a while to warm up to the au pairs).  She has also told her mom that I am her favourite au pair, which I find very sweet.  Her mom says this is the first time she ever said that.  (awwww!).  She seems to want to hang out with me all the time, see everything I brought, and if it were up to here I think she would talk to me all night and never sleep! It's a great feeling, I hope this keeps up for the rest of the 10 months!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, anonymous...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...