Friday, September 14, 2012

On Spanish Differences...

Over the past few days here, I have been trying to become accustomed to the differences in Spain compared to Canada.  Nothing too extreme or unmanageable, but different nonetheless.  Here are some of the main ones, consisting of stuff I anticipated and stuff I didn't.

1) Eating here is very different than eating in Canada.  The kinds of foods, the duration of meals, when meals are eaten are all different.  My first dinner here the night I arrived was a good indication of the way meals are eaten.  Usually, there are a number of foods in small amounts (so typically I get a salad, a meat and bread, occasionally a vegetable as well).  Dessert is typically fruit, although Rosa has been spoiling me with the chocolate and ice cream lately.  Maybe it's this particular family, but I have not had any wine yet with a meal.  But this family loves Coke Zero, which happens to be my favourite soft drink as of late (what a coincidence!).  I don't drink coffee here, I have espresso with some warmed up milk (and the milk they have has got to be homogenized, it is creamy!).  They have no margerine, just butter (which I love).  They also seem to really love their toast.  Seriously, there is bread/toast with every meal.  The lettuce here is weird, the romaine heads (if that's even what they are) are super small.  I am dying for a spinach or mixed field greens salad, but it only ever looks like they have romaine in the supermarkets.  Breakfast is typically small, and they make their own fresh orange juice in the juicer.  The next meal is at ~2pm, and is the largest meal of the day.  I usually have to snack on something in between.  Then dinner is around 9, and is typically small (like a salad).  I like the small meals throughout the day, but I am dying for a big hearty pasta or stew.  I might make one soon. 

2) Supermarkets are the one stop shop here.  They are small, have everything, and are everywhere.  Alcohol, fruit and vegetables, butcher, book store, bakery, drug store... all rolled into one!  I had to buy my toiletries at one of them, which was a very interesting experience.  I went shopping with Laura's older brother, who had to help me with the translations of the products (try to explain leave in conditioner to a 24 year old guy... who speaks spanish... it was hard. but I finally found it! i think.).  Also, all the deodorants are roll on here, which is really weird.  They have Clearsil, Clean and Clear, Pantene, Loreal, Nivea, Olay, Tampax and Garnier products here.  All these toiletries are more expensive here than in Canada, and these supermarkets don't have the best selection either.  I was hoping for a Shoppers Drug Mart kind of place here, but oh well.  I have what I need and I didn't compromise or break the bank too badly.

3) This is not a place for people who don't like affection.  The double cheek kiss makes even first time meetings intimate.  Everyone seems more animated and touchy... there are many hugs and kisses flying around.  Kids and adults interact this way with one another, which is interesting too.  When Laura's friends from school see Laura's mom, they embrace in the double cheek kiss.  And Laura and her friends are very affectionate with one another too.  Its an interesting social dynamic to get used to.

4) If I have to make a payment to an organization here (like a language school or the government), I go directly to any bank and give my money to the teller to make the payment, it is not handled within the organization.  I guess the bank puts it in the organizations account, but I think it's crazy that you can just go to any bank to do this.

5) If I could drive anywhere in the world, I think I would want to drive here (minus learning how to drive standard).  All the cars are really tiny and can navigate the streets easily and park easily (and people here don't think twice about having to drive up on a curb to make a park job).  It's a little more relaxed here, less road rules and lights, more round-a-bouts and all way stops.  People just seem to drive casually here.  It is easier to drive in the casual way when none of the roads are grids, and are all curvy.  People stop and go when they want to, yellow lights don't really mean anything, and if no one is crossing then they seem to go right through the light anyway. I know it sounds chaotic, but it somehow works.

6) There doesn't seem to be squirrels or raccoons here, but there are lots of lizards and some rats.  There are also ants, pigeons, sparrows and wild dogs.

7) The houses are set up different here.  They are narrow and tall, with no front yard.  The streets are lined with tall walls and garages, and the families will have a lawn on the upper floor.  The typical Andalusian house also has a outdoor square in the middle of it.  In this house, there is a square between the washer and dryer and pantry room and the kitchen.  All the windows and doors are left wide open in this house, and there are no screens.  Somehow, there aren't any bugs in the houses though.  Meals are usually eaten on the outdoor patio instead of inside.  Also, the light switches are weird here!  And all the toilets seem to flush the same way, with a button on top instead of a handle on the side. 

Those are the main differences that I have come in contact with, but I am sure that I will encounter many more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind, anonymous...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...